What is an excused absence?
- Medical and Dental appointments
- Death In the Immediate Family
- Quarantine or Immunization
- Court Appearance (verification required)
- Entertainment Industry (verification required)
- Personal business with verified parent explanation and under the following circumstances:
- Appearance at School Attendance Review Board (SARB) meeting.
- Attendance at events sponsored by the school, or organization/groups approved in advance by the Principal or Principal's designee.
- Observance of a religious holiday or ceremony, or religious retreat (retreat not to exceed four hours per semester).
- Caring for an ill child when the student is the custodial parent.
- Other exceptional circumstances approved by the Principal or Principal's designee.
Good attendance is crucial to a student's academic success and in forming life-long habits and self-discipline. The Simi Valley Unified School District attendance policy is very specific and recognizes the joint responsibility of the school district and the parents/guardians in working together to ensure good attendance patterns for all students.
REPORTING AN ABSENCES
An absence may be reported by doing one of the following:
- Contact Kim Martucci in the Attendance Office at 805-520-6150 ext. 1510. Leave a message if she is not available.
- Email the Attendance Office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you are calling the school before or after hours, leave a message on the attendance voicemail.
- The student may bring a note to the Attendance Office when the student returns to school.
When writing a note or leaving a message to excuse an absence, please include the following:
- Student's name, date(s) of absence(s), and reason the student was absent.
- Please sign each note and include a telephone number for verification.
Parents have five school days days from the first day of absence to clear their absences with the Attendance Office. After five days, all uncleared absences will be recorded as truancies.
AFTER THE 12TH ABSENCES (excused or unexcused) in a school year, a doctor's note must be presented to the Attendance Office to clear any additional absence.